Weaving classes are set up to accommodate the weaver’s time constraints. The following is a list of the classes offered in the past.
Classes can be set up for 1 to 3 individuals at one time.
- Beginning Weaving – Learn to set up and weave on a 4 shaft floor loom. 3 day class.
- Drafting and Design I – Learn to read and design weaving drafts for a 4 shaft loom. 1 or 2 day class.
- Drafting and Design II – Develop your drafting skills for more than 4 shafts, (up to 16 shafts). 1 or 2 day class.
- Rug Weaving – Work with “up-cycled” fabrics to create a double sided rug. 3 day class.
- Inkle Band Weaving – Learn to set up an Inkle loom and to weave a narrow warp faced band. 1 day class.
- Band Weaving II – Using an Inkle loom or Scandinavian style rigid heddle, learn to weave intricate patterns on a narrow band. 1 day class.
- Rigid Heddle Weaving– Plan a weaving project, set-up the rigid heddle loom, and weave off the project. 1 to 2 day class.
Contact Gretchen if you are interested in joining us for a weaving session, firstname.lastname@example.org
Weavers of all skill levels are welcome to book a one, two, or three day weaving focus session, to work on a particular structure or fiber that has been of interest to the weaver. Four to eight shaft jack and counterbalance loom types are available to use. Wool, cotton, linen, and synthetic fibers are on hand to experiment with. The weaver is supported and mentored during the design, set-up, and weaving processes. For weavers who have demonstrated a commitment to weaving and working on a regular basis in the gallery, the fee is $100.00 per month for unlimited use of the weaving studio looms and tools. The weaver can provide their own fiber or are charged by the weight of the materials used from the weaving studio.
For new weavers and those who seek a refresher class.
Participants will design a project (scarf, wall hanging, or table runner), select yarns, wind a warp, “dress” a 4 shaft floor loom, and weave the project. Weavers will learn the vocabulary of weaving and develop a better understanding of the process. The 3 day workshop ($225.00) includes use of the studio’s equipment, yarn, and space. The days run from 10 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. (with a break at mid-day for a snack or lunch). contact Gretchen to schedule a weaving lesson at, email@example.com, or call (508)221-3992.
Rug Weaving with “upcycled” T’shirts. 8 to 10 large T’shirts can be used to weave a sturdy and soft 22″ x 48″ floor rug. This three day class is for the weaver who has some experience working on a 4 shaft floor loom. We use a double sided pattern that gives the weaver a wide variety of design possibilities. February 5 – 7, three day class, $225.00, materials included. Call Gretchen at 508 221-3992, or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tanzer Gallery and Weaving Studio, #2623 Main Street (Rt. 6A) Brewster. If the American flag is up, we are open! Check out the summer class offerings or choose to work independently. Open year round.