The weavers at the Tanzer Weaving Studio and Gallery, #2623 Main St., Brewster, MA 02631, have been busy. Here are a few of the finished projects.
I am a dealer for the Schacht Loom company to sell Cricket rigid heddle looms and Schacht Inkle Looms. New 15″ Cricket loom sells for $240.00. The Inkle loom sells for $115.00. Rigid heddle looms and inkle looms can be borrowed for $25.00 per week, or $50.00 per month.
- Schacht 15″ Cricket loom, with stand, $395.00.
- Loom sold separately, $240.00.
- Stand sold separately, $163.00.
- 15″ Schacht pick-up sticks, $16.00.
- Extra 15″, 12 dent reeds, $47.00.
- Three-day class, $225.00.
- Two-day class, $175.00.
- One-day class, $100.00.
- Classes include use of looms, and materials.
- Studio hours are 10:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.
Open Studio Fees:
- $25.00 for a 2 hour consult, (independent of a studio weaving day).
- $100.00 per month. Payable at the beginning of the month. To “qualify” for the monthly fee, a weaver must have taken a two or three day class previously at the weaving studio.
- Open studio includes use of looms and tools. Yarns used from the weaving studio will be weighed when the project is cut off the loom to calculate the amount of yarn used. Yarn can also be provided by the weaver.
- Studio is open by appointment 10 a.m. to 4. p.m. Monday through Saturday.
Materials and Labor:
- Cost of materials when not taking a class is based on the weight of the yarn used. Weavers are encouraged to provide their own yarns when working on a large project. Price of yarn is based on the current replacement cost of the fiber.
- House calls, Home loom set-up, Off-site weaving consultation; $25.00 per hour.
- Sewing and hemming woven edges, (at the weaving studio); $12.50 per hour.
- 15″ and 16″ Rigid heddle looms are available to borrow by the week and month. $25.00 per week, $50.00 per month.
- Inkle loom can be borrowed by the week or month. $25.00 per week, $50.00 per month.
Weavers of all skill levels are welcome to book a one, two, or three day weaving focus session, to work on a particular structure or fiber that has been of interest to the weaver. Four to eight shaft jack and counterbalance loom types are available to use. Wool, cotton, linen, and synthetic fibers are on hand to experiment with. The weaver is supported and mentored during the design, set-up, and weaving processes. For weavers who have demonstrated a commitment to weaving and working on a regular basis in the gallery, the fee is $100.00 per month for unlimited use of the weaving studio looms and tools. The weaver can provide their own fiber or are charged by the weight of the materials used from the weaving studio.
For new weavers and those who seek a refresher class.
Participants will design a project (scarf, wall hanging, or table runner), select yarns, wind a warp, “dress” a 4 shaft floor loom, and weave the project. Weavers will learn the vocabulary of weaving and develop a better understanding of the process. The 3 day workshop ($225.00) includes use of the studio’s equipment, yarn, and space. The days run from 10 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. (with a break at mid-day for a snack or lunch). contact Gretchen to schedule a weaving lesson at, email@example.com, or call (508)221-3992.